Skip to main content
In an emergency call 999


Advice and Guidance

If you have been a victim of crime, don’t suffer in silence. Even if you do not want to report the crime to the police, think about telling a trusted friend or family member so they can help and support you. Nottinghamshire Victim CARE can also provide you with help and support even if you do not want to report the crime to the Police.

Victim CARE can provide:

  • Emotional support to help you cope and recover from the crime
  • Advocacy with other agencies and organisations
  • Advice on crime prevention and provision of target hardening equipment (if required)
  • Practical support and advice
  • Restorative Justice 
  • Support applying to Criminal Injuries Compensation (CICA)

Call Nottinghamshire Victim CARE on 0800 304 7575 or click here to request a call back.

If you do want to report the crime to the police please see our page on reporting a crime.

Assault covers a wide range of crimes – from spitting and shoving (which would be Common Assault) up to assaults causing life changing injuries (Grievous Bodily Harm).

The main areas assault is broken down into are:

Battery or Common Assault – Involves unlawfully touching someone, usually not resulting in an injury. As with the example above this is typically pushing someone, spitting, poking, slapping etc.

Actual Bodily Harm – Assault whereby there are injuries caused (not serious), physical or psychological. This could be from punching, kicking, hitting etc.

Grievous Bodily Harm – The most serious assault, where there have been significant injuries caused. The assaults in this category might typically cause broken bones, significant bruising and damage or might have longer term life altering consequences. Wounding from weapons (including knives) are part of this category. 

Practical Advice

If you were injured as part of an assault you might be entitled to apply for the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme. As defined by the scheme, blameless victims who have been injured as part of a violent crime could be awarded compensation – for more information on the scheme and eligibility visit the government website here

Looking After Yourself

Everyone reacts differently to experiencing a crime. It is important however to recognise that whatever has happened to you, it can still feel like a violation.

If you have any physical injuries, it is important that you get these checked out as soon as possible at either a walk in centre or Accident and Emergency – you can find your local urgent care centre here

You might also find that you feel suddenly quite emotional, you might struggle to sleep properly or feel anxious being in your home or out and about. It is important that you recognise that all of these are not unusual to experience following any crime.

Some ways you can help yourself during this time:

  • Let your friends and family know what has happened, and if you feel comfortable, tell them how you feel
  • If possible, speak to your workplace or school – see whether they can offer flexibility or time off to sort things out
  • If you are struggling with your emotional wellbeing, speak to your GP – they may be able to refer you for counselling

The NHS Moodzone pages have a lot of tips on how to boost your emotional wellbeing which you can find here.

Here are some tips to feeling safer:

  • Carry a personal alarm – designed to quickly emit a very loud noise, alarms can deter offenders from continuing to attack
  • Act confident – by walking tall and appearing self-assured you are less likely to be targeted
  • Be aware of surroundings – pay attention to where you are walking and what is going on, it could help you avoid confrontations
  • Walk in well-lit and populated areas
  • If you feel uneasy or like you’re being followed, go into the nearest shop – speak to a staff member
  • Whilst it is your right to self-defence, it is illegal to carry a weapon in order to do so