Hide this site (ESC)

In an emergency call 999

Need help? 0800 304 7575

Self refer here

Support for Young People

If you have experienced a crime you might be feeling worried or angry, or have questions about what you can do. You are not alone.

It’s important to talk to someone you trust, even if you have been told not to tell anyone – whether that is a parent or guardian, teacher or friend. You do not have to tell them everything, only what feels comfortable to you at that time. It may be helpful at this point to focus more on how you are feeling and what you need to do to feel better, rather than all of the details of what has happened. You can also choose to speak to the Police – whatever has happened to you, they will listen and take you seriously.

If you have been affected by crime, Nottinghamshire Victim CARE are here to help. This is a confidential and free service, with staff who are trained to listen to you and give advice.

You can call on 0800 304 7575 – they are available from 8am to 8pm in the week and from 9am to 5pm on Saturday. Alternatively you can click here to ask them to call you back.

If you do decide to go to the Police, young people who are victims (under 18) are eligible for ‘Enhanced Entitlements’ under the Victim’s Code of Practice, which means that you can get extra support through the process, from speaking to the Police, right through to if your case goes to court. This extra support can make you feel safer and ensure you feel comfortable. This is explained in the video below:

For more information, see our pages on the Criminal Justice Process.

Another organisation you can talk to is Childline on 0800 1111 or get in touch through other ways on their website https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/. This is a free and confidential support line so you don’t have to give your name if you don’t want to.