Skip to main content
In an emergency call 999

Criminal Damage and Arson

Advice and Guidance

If you have been a victim of crime, don’t suffer in silence. Even if you do not want to report the crime to the police, think about telling a trusted friend or family member so they can help and support you. Nottinghamshire Victim CARE can also provide you with help and support even if you do not want to report the crime to the Police.

Victim CARE can provide:

  • Emotional support to help you cope and recover from the crime
  • Advocacy with other agencies and organisations
  • Advice on crime prevention and provision of target hardening equipment (if required)
  • Practical support and advice
  • Restorative Justice 
  • Support applying to Criminal Injuries Compensation (CICA)

Call Nottinghamshire Victim CARE on 0800 304 7575 or click here to request a call back.

If you do want to report the crime to the police please see our page on reporting a crime

Criminal damage is defined as someone intentionally or recklessly damaging or destroying property belonging to another without a lawful excuse. This could be damage to your vehicle, home, other properties, and does include graffiti.

Arson is the willful or malicious burning or charring of property. This can be further broken down into burning someone else’s property without consent, and arson for the purpose of defrauding an insurer.

Practical Advice

Go through your property and note down everything that has been damaged or destroyed.

Contact the number on your insurance policy as soon as you feel able to. You will need to explain in detail what exactly happened, so it can be helpful to do this when it is fresh in your memory. Insurance companies may need evidence to show the value of items you intend to claim for – try to gather receipts, or evidence of purchase from bank statements.

You will also need to provide insurers with your crime number – the officer in your case should have provided this to you after taking your statement. If you don’t have this or can’t remember, you can contact 101 and they can provide it after taking a few details.

Looking After Yourself

Everyone reacts differently to experiencing a crime. It is important however to recognise that whatever has happened to you, it can still feel like a violation.

If you have any physical injuries, it is important that you get these checked out as soon as possible at either a walk in centre or Accident and Emergency – you can find your local urgent care centre here

You might also find that you feel suddenly quite emotional, you might struggle to sleep properly or feel anxious being in your home or out and about. It is important that you recognise that all of these are not unusual to experience following any crime.

Some ways you can help yourself during this time:

  • Let your friends and family know what has happened, and if you feel comfortable, tell them how you feel
  • If possible, speak to your workplace or school – see whether they can offer flexibility or time off to sort things out
  • If you are struggling with your emotional wellbeing, speak to your GP – they may be able to refer you for counselling

The NHS Moodzone pages have a lot of tips on how to boost your emotional wellbeing which you can find here.

Here are a few tips to help you feel safer:

  • The Fire Service offer a ‘Home Safety Check’ service, which can help minimise the impact of any arson attempts. You can book one for free here -
  • If you property has been damaged, it is important to get it fixed as soon as possible – vandalised property can attract more damage
  • Consider upgrading security around your property with more alarms or cameras
  • Consider joining or forming a Neighbourhood Watch scheme
  • Be a good neighbour – if you see any suspicious behaviour in your area report it on 101 or on 999 in an emergency