Skip to main content
In an emergency call 999

Anti-social Behaviour

Advice and Guidance

If you have been a victim of Anti-social Behaviour, don’t suffer in silence. Even if you do not want to report the crime to the police, think about telling a trusted friend or family member so they can help and support you. Nottinghamshire Victim CARE can also provide you with help and support even if you do not want to officially report the crime to the Police.

Victim CARE can provide:

  • Emotional support to help you cope and recover from the crime
  • Advocacy with other agencies and organisations
  • Advice on crime prevention and provision of target hardening equipment (if required)
  • Practical support and advice
  • Restorative Justice 
  • Support applying to Criminal Injuries Compensation (CICA)

Call Nottinghamshire Victim CARE on 0800 304 7575 or click here to request a call back.

If you do want to report the incident, see the links below for local advice about reporting Anti-social Behaviour. Each borough or district may have slightly different processes for dealing with Anti-social Behaviour, however they should all have teams you can contact and speak to, to discuss your situation.

You can also speak to the Police about Anti-social Behaviour by calling them on 101 .

Anti-social Behaviour covers a range of unacceptable activity that causes harm to an individual, to their community or to their environment. This could be an action by someone else that leaves you feeling alarmed, harassed or distressed. It also includes fear of crime or concern for public safety, public disorder or public nuisance.

Examples of Anti-social Behaviour include:

  • Nuisance, rowdy or inconsiderate neighbours
  • Vandalism, graffiti and fly-posting
  • Street drinking
  • Environmental damage including littering, dumping of rubbish and abandonment of cars
  • Prostitution related activity
  • Begging and vagrancy
  • Fireworks misuse
  • Inconsiderate or inappropriate use of vehicles

The Police, local authorities (councils) and other community safety partner agencies, such as Fire & Rescue and social housing landlords, all have a responsibility and powers to deal with Anti-social Behaviour and to help people who are suffering from it.

If you or your family have been suffering from Anti-social Behaviour, and you have reported it, you can expect for Police and local authorities to take your reports seriously, to take action and feedback to you on what action they have taken. 

It is important that you report every instance of Anti-social Behaviour, so that the police or local authority have all the information they need to take action.

In order to gather evidence, many people find it useful to keep a diary record of incidents. Local councils can provide diary sheets, or you can download one from this page.

Remember to record as much detail as possible, including dates and times.

Please see the list below for local advice and support in your area. Each borough or district may have slightly different processes for dealing with Anti-social Behaviour, however they should all have teams you can contact and speak to, to discuss your situation.

You can also speak to the Police about Antisocial Behaviour by calling them on 101 .






Newark and Sherwood

Nottingham City


Looking After Yourself

Everyone reacts differently to experiencing a crime. It is important however to recognise that whatever has happened to you, it can still feel like a violation.

If you have any physical injuries, it is important that you get these checked out as soon as possible at either a walk in centre or Accident and Emergency – you can find your local urgent care centre here

You might also find that you feel suddenly quite emotional, you might struggle to sleep properly or feel anxious being in your home or out and about. It is important that you recognise that all of these are not unusual to experience following any crime.

Some ways you can help yourself during this time:

  • Let your friends and family know what has happened, and if you feel comfortable, tell them how you feel
  • If possible, speak to your workplace or school – see whether they can offer flexibility or time off to sort things out
  • If you are struggling with your emotional wellbeing, speak to your GP – they may be able to refer you for counselling

The NHS Moodzone pages have a lot of tips on how to boost your emotional wellbeing which you can find here.

Keep reporting - it is important that the Local Authority or Police are aware of the extent of the Anti-social Behaviour in your area. By reporting each instance, it empowers these agencies to take action. 

Join a local Neighbourhood Watch Scheme - there may be others experiencing the same issues in your area. By talking with other members, you may discover that the things which bother you also bother them and together with your Neighbourhood Policing Team you can work towards getting those problems resolved.